Many things can cause skin to become inflamed and the condition varies in severity. Heat, infections, allergies, and reactions to medications are common causes of inflammation. Skin may burn, appear red, and become dry, itchy, or develop a rash or blisters. The condition may be easily treated using a homemade face mask or may require professional treatment. diy mask for redness
Natural treatments are preferred by some people and several natural substances have anti-inflammatory qualities:
- Almond meal: made from ground raw almonds, this has an exfoliating and slight bleaching effect and is used in facial masks, scrubs, and exfoliants
- Almond oil: created by pressing almonds, it has high concentration of fatty acids, making it ideal for inflamed, itchy skin. Almond oil can be used as a carrier base for essential oil ingredients in moisturizing balms, creams, and lotions or it can be applied directly as a moisturizer.
- Calendula: this essential oil is made from flower petals and its soothing quality earns it a place in ingredient lists for healing, anti-inflammatory balms and masks
- Calophyllum oil: this calming, soothing, healing oil comes from the seeds of a tree native to Tahiti. It is used in oil blends designed to treat skin inflamed by chapping, eczema, or psoriasis
- Honey: attracts moisture from air to skin, used in facial mask recipes that address inflammation caused by dryness
- Myrhh: made from tree resin and used in lotions and facial masks due to its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and infection-ridding properties. Myrrh balances skin, provides hydration, and promotes tissue repair.
- Rose hip oil: high in fatty acids from rose hip seeds, this oil heals damaged skin. It also contains omega acids that address inflammation caused by the sun, making it a common face mask and lotion ingredient.
Inflamed skin may be soothed by a face mask containing two teaspoons arrowroot, one teaspoon each of finely ground almond meal and cornmeal, one ounce of fuller’s earth. Add enough yogurt, apple cider vinegar, or honey to create a soft paste when ingredients are combined. Apply this mask to the face, leave it on for ten to 15 minutes, rinse off with lukewarm water, and pat dry.
Homemade face mask recipes for inflamed skin are alternatives to pre-made products available in stores and online. People prepare these when they prefer to be aware of the ingredients being applied to their skin. This prevents them from using anything that could make their already-irritated skin feel much worse.